Thursday, February 17, 2011

Response to Chinese Mothers are superior

          Haha, I like this article so much! Someone had finally said my thoughts of my family. Amy Chua, who wrote this article, had described her family as well. I like this paragraph that she is describing her family:
 A lot of people wonder how Chinese parents raise such stereotypically successful kids. They wonder what these parents do to produce so many math whizzes and music prodigies, what it's like inside the family, and whether they could do it too. Well, I can tell them, because I've done it. Here are some things my daughters, Sophia and Louisa, were never allowed to do:
 • attend a sleepover• have a playdate
• be in a school play
• complain about not being in a school play
• watch TV or play computer games
• choose their own extracurricular activities
• get any grade less than an A
• not be the No. 1 student in every subject except gym and drama
• play any instrument other than the piano or violin
• not play the piano or violin.
    I recalled when I was little, my mom forced me to learn piano, chess, and Chinese calligraphy even though I did not want to. The meaning things that my mom always did to me was that she drove me to the schools,  dropped me off, and left without being looking back. This is why I fail every time I tried not to go to outside class schools. And if i don't go learn, she won't pick me up. There were  no rights between me and her-- she is always superior of me, and she decided everything for me.   -_-  However, at least I can feel the way these three habits are really helping my life.
           I think that my parents own me a better childhood, but I think it is worthy though. At least right now I have more habits to do outside of school. And I also thinks that even though most of the Chinese families are strict, but at least they all want their children to become successful. Even though I cried many times when I was little becuase my mom forced me to do things that I did not want to do, but now, I feel glad that I had learned these things in order to make my life becomes better.
        

1 comment:

  1. Great personal example. Are you saying that different parenting methods cannot result in kids that are as talented, or even more talented than you? American parents (excluding the immigrant parents who immigrated to America) tend to give their children more freedom and mercy for not getting straight A's, but does different mean it is deficient??

    ReplyDelete