Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Family History Response

       After publishing the family history and reading the wonderful stories that my friends wrote, I found some similarities and connections between few of my Asian friends' families.  After reading a bunch of readings, I got some quotes from Jay Pan, Andy Lau, and Shiyun Yang. All of the stories have one connection, which show that how strict Chinese family is, and how much hard work their mother had experienced back to their childhood.  First of all, this is a quote from Jay Pan:

When my mother was young, she went to an “advanced” math class at her school. She was an extremely studious and hardworking student that never slacked off or screwed around in class, (according to her anyway). She was apparently so hardworking that she was a well respected person in her village. They respected her as a student and as a hardworking member of society.

From Jay's quote, I can tell that Jay's mom was a "4.0" student in China back to the period, even though Chinese schools don't count GPA for their grade, but yah. The main point is that, although Jay's mom had a hard class and fortunately do well in the class, but she still had to get some times to do her housework. Going onto shiyun's quote, she shows the same connections of her mother's situation when she was young:

My mom would wake up at seven in the morning and head to school. When she comes back, she would be asked to do chores by her parents. Each of her siblings were assigned to do a different job. My mom had to take trips to the wells or to faucets to gather water for the family. For each bucket they got, they had to pay a cent. Back in the day, they had no access of water at homes.
   And this is Andy's quote:

Andy's quote:She described these as dirty and filthy places that she hated going to. Instead, my mom knew a friend who had a bathroom in their house with running water. She would go shower and use the restroom of one of her friends who was wealthy and had numerous bathrooms in their house. She said that she was very lucky and her parents and sister envied her because she got to shower in a clean and safe place.
    So, three of their quotes show an important connection in between Chinese families. From shiyun's quote, it basically shows how hard her mom's school life was, and how she was still working hard; from Andy's quote, it expresses a hard situation that Back to the time when their moms were still at school, I can see all of them were struggle on their familt situation while China was developing country. Thus its economic was not that rich compare to United States, so people owned a very low paying job, or even no jobs for them at all. So, their kids must to be mature early, and started doing housework. This is what my mom always tells me. I think this is what exactly the connection is showing: Back to our parents' childhood time period, kids are working hard to earn a good grade and having too much housework. These experiences are such alike what my mom told me she had before, and I think the memories are valuable because it shows a big different comparing to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment