Friday, October 8, 2010

Response to Andy Lau

Today, as usual, the last day to post the blog, and I found a interesting quote from Andy Lau's blog:
Guess what? You probably will not believe this, but my worst subject in school is math! Yes, I know, surprising much? We all know the typical stereotype: "Asians are good at math." Well, I think I just proved this stereotype wrong.

Math use to be my strongest subject at school. All the way, up into, let me say, eight grade. I use to get straight A's in math. However towards the end of the eighth grade, the B's started to hit. Then in ninth grade, where I started Algebra 2, I got A's the first semester and dipped into B's the second semester. Now, as a sophomore taking Pre-Calculus, I have been getting C's and D's on tests making my overall grade a C. This is the only class that I am struggling in.

    As an Asian, I really have been in Andy Lau's situation. People in the United States always say that "Asian are good at math". I agree with Andy which I could prove it wrong. No one is perfect, and Asians, too. There are many Asians are not really good at math in this world, are they stupid? NO! When the math levels get harder and harder every year, there is some people feel hard to do the math problems just like Andy. He was good at math since he was in Middle school, but gets worse every year with raising the level of the math.
   For sure, there are some of the Asians are smart, but why? Is it gifted?  I don't think so. There are no one was born with some super mathematical skill. For me, I think some Asian students could just think and understand a lesson in a easy way which helps them to remember Adequately. No one is perfect when  they were born, people could not get a good grade without spenting hard work.
   Humanity is improving everyday. For some smart Asians, there will be always something for them are complicate and unsolvable. This is why this society needs teachers. I think spending hard work and times are very neccessary to do well in math. And last, to Andy, I think "do the best you can" is only suggestion I give to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment